Methods and reporting of systematic reviews of comparative accuracy were deficient: a methodological survey and proposed guidance.

Takwoingi, Yemisi and Partlett, Christopher and Riley, Richard D and Hyde, Chris and Deeks, Jonathan J (2019) Methods and reporting of systematic reviews of comparative accuracy were deficient: a methodological survey and proposed guidance. Journal of clinical epidemiology. ISSN 1878-5921.

Full text not available from this repository.
Official URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=31843693

Abstract

OBJECTIVE

To examine methodological and reporting characteristics of systematic reviews and meta-analyses which compare diagnostic test accuracy (DTA) of multiple index tests, identify good practice, and develop guidance for better reporting.

STUDY DESIGN AND SETTING

Methodological survey of 127 comparative or multiple tests reviews published in 74 different general medical and specialist journals. We summarised methods and reporting characteristics that are likely to differ between reviews of a single test and comparative reviews. We then developed guidance to enhance reporting of test comparisons in DTA reviews.

RESULTS

Of 127 reviews, 16 (13%) reviews restricted study selection and test comparisons to comparative accuracy studies while the remaining 111 (87%) reviews included any study type. Fifty three reviews (42%) statistically compared test accuracy with only 18 (34%) of these using recommended methods. Reporting of several items-in particular the role of the index tests, test comparison strategy and limitations of indirect comparisons (i.e. comparisons involving any study type)-was deficient in many reviews. Five reviews with exemplary methods and reporting were identified.

CONCLUSIONS

Reporting quality of reviews which evaluate and compare multiple tests is poor. The guidance developed, complemented with the exemplars, can assist review authors in producing better quality comparative reviews.

Item Type: Article
Subjects: WA Patients. Primary care. Medical profession. Forensic medicine
WB Practice of medicine
Divisions: Clinical Support
Planned IP Care
Related URLs:
Depositing User: Mr Muneeb Liaquat
Date Deposited: 20 Dec 2019 12:54
Last Modified: 20 Dec 2019 12:54
URI: http://www.repository.uhblibrary.co.uk/id/eprint/2697

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item